| Lancaster | Union | Chester | Kershaw | York |
Guided by the Holy Spirit, our mission is to equip, support, and connect our congregations as they faithfully serve Jesus Christ in a changing world.
October 19, 2009 Volume 5, Number 40
“Christian discipleship requires being held in love and being held accountable. We simply cannot follow Christ apart from a community that holds us in compassion and calls us to accountability. Solitary discipleship is a misnomer. We cannot be Christian alone.”
Kenneth Carder, Duke Divinity School Professor and Retired Bishop
Please keep Bob and Jim Moss and their family in your prayers. Mary’s mother passed away on Saturday.
Pickup Materials from Presbytery Meeting
If you were unable to attend yesterday’s Presbytery Meeting or you forgot to pick up your packet, your church has a packet of E3 Workshop Catalogs, Bulletin inserts and other items you don’t want to miss out on at the Presbytery Office. Please stop by and pick up the packet with your church’s name on it. You’ll find it in the downstairs conference room. Also, if you are interested in sharing the “What’s Your Number” video with your church, contact Jill Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will prepare your copy.
Lay School of Theology at White Oak in November
If you are interested in enrolling in the Lay School of Theology for the fall semester, November 13-15 at White Oak Conference Center, you will find registration documents on the Charleston Atlantic Presbytery website at www.chas-atlpresbytery.org.
Third Tuesday Together learns about “Backyard History” October 20
This month TTT welcomes guest speaker Pat Veasey from Oakdale Presbyterian Church. Her presentation entitled, “Backyard History: The Presbyterian Connection in York County, Educating Youth between the Revolution and the Civil War” will focus on the Scotch-Irish Presbyterians and their dedication to education, establishing local academies that became institutions of higher learning for men and women. Our time together will start at 10:30am at Horton Lodge and be followed by a delicious lunch together. Please take the time to sign up in advance. Cost includes lunch. To do so you can call Bethelwoods at 803.366.3722. If you have any questions please e-mail email@example.com.
Synod Meeting Highlights
Barbara Kurz was our representative at last week’s Synod meeting. BOP requests that churches make a special effort to contribute to the “Joy Gift” offering this year to support retired pastors and their spouses. Mardee Rightmyer suggested two resources 1) http://www.thedoorpost.com [look for words hope, joy, redemption, etc. to find online video resources – esp. look for Butterfly Circus] and 2) 30 Good Minutes [Lillian Daniels’ ministry in Chicago – see her TV shows]. Barbara’s meeting notes are online.
Make Plans to Come to our Holiday Open House
The staff of Providence Presbytery cordially invites all members and friends of the churches of Providence Presbytery to its Open House on Tuesday, December 8, 2009, from 11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. at 515 Oakland Avenue, Rock Hill, SC Refreshments will be served. Please let us know by December 1st if you plan to attend.1-800-922-1609, 803-328-6269, firstname.lastname@example.org
Be Part of the Presbytery’s Video Christmas Card
Youth Groups, Bible Study Groups, Men’s Groups…anyone! We invite you to join us as we create a Providence Presbytery video Christmas card for our website! Any group in Providence Presbytery is invited to shoot a 30 to 45 second Christmas Card. You can be as creative as you like to share your Christmas wishes or Christmas “commercials” with others in the Presbytery and beyond. Submit your digital movie file (can be QuickTime, Windows Movie File, Flip video…whatever) to email@example.com by Nov. 23. In the email, please tell me the following: Subject: Your Church, Your Group Name—Video Christmas Card. Contact person, Contact phone and Contact Email Address. Submissions must be received by November 23rd to be included in the Video to debut at the Presbytery Christmas Open House on December 6 and added to the website. If you have questions, contact Jill Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the Presbytery office, Extension 8.
Join York County CROPWALK
Many in our community are hurting and more than ever people are needing food assistance. 25% of the money raised on the walk stays right here in our community and the other 75% goes all over the world. The 75% is designated for Church World Service but if you would rather yours go to a Presbyterian outreach or Heifer International or something like that, you can do that as well. On Wednesday, October 14th Barbara Thomas of the Charlotte area office will be speaking at 7 pm in Tillman Auditorium of Winthrop University. There are two CROPWALKS in the area this year- one in York on October 18th and one in Rock Hill on October 25th. If you would like more info on CROP, please contact Narcie Jeter at email@example.com or 803-327-5640. T-shirts are $3. For more information go to http://www.winthropwesley.com/CROPWALK/CROPWALK.htm or www.cropwalk.org.
Education Opportunities: Remember EEMT offers Leadership Development Scholarships for pastors, church staff and lay persons to attend most educational seminars!
- Princeton Forum on Youth Ministry Scheduled for November 3-5, 2009. Join IYM at the Kanuga Conference Center in Hendersonville, NC for the Forum on Youth Ministry November 3-5, 2009. For more information or to register, visit us online.
- Columbia Theological Seminary’s Center for Lifelong Learning. Journey of Faith: A Pilgrimage of Discernment for Ministry includes a two-week pilgrimage to the Holy Land, orientation immediately prior to the pilgrimage and a post-pilgrimage reflection process. Deadline for application is November 19. Participant costs for travel, accommodations, meals, and materials for the pilgrimage will be underwritten by the Cobb Foundation Grant. The only cost for those selected to participate will be a registration fee of $500 and miscellaneous personal expenses. Applications can be found at www.ctsnet.edu/LL/Journey.aspx.
- FREE Tax Tips Webinar for Ministers and Churches to be held December 9 from 3-4PM Eastern Register now for this FREE seminar to learn what common errors should you be aware of as you prepare your 2009 returns? and How could recent tax law changes affect how you report income and expenses in 2010? Join us for our Tax Tips Webinar for Ministers and Churches, a free event that helps ministers and churches understand clergy taxes. Hear renowned clergy and church tax expert Richard R. Hammar, J.D., LL.M., CPA,
- “Emergence NOW” event at Columbia Theological Seminary, January 26-29 “Emergence NOW,” Columbia Theological Seminary’s annual January Seminars, takes place January 26-28, 2010, on the seminary campus in Decatur, GA. Leaders include acclaimed editor, author, and lecturer Phyllis Tickle, along with pastor and moderator of the PC (USA) Bruce Reye-Chow, and author/ theologians Tony Jones and Philip Clayton Jones. Barbara Brown Taylor, renowned preacher and author, will lead worship on Tuesday afternoon and Thursday morning. Offered by the Center for Lifelong Learning, “Emergence NOW” will feature plenary sessions, daily worship, and workshops. The $265 program fee includes two lunches. More information and online registration for the event and housing is available here. You may also register by calling 404.687.4587.
- Erskine Clarke to lead Presbyterian Heritage tour of GA and SC low country, April 5-9, 2010. Columbia Theological Seminary’s Center for Lifelong Learning is offering this tour of the Georgia and South Carolina low country from April 5-9, 2010. Leading the tour is Erskine Clarke, professor emeritus of American religious history and author of the award-winning book Dwelling Place: A Plantation Epic. Registration and tour deposit are due November 20, 2009. More information is available online at http://www.ctsnet.edu/Files/Events/PresbyterianHistoryTheology.pdf.
- Journey to the Lands of Faith and History: A group of faculty, students and friends from Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School of Christian Education will travel to the Middle East May 7-27, 2010. Our journey will take us to Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Israel, and Egypt as we learn about this vital region for the Christian faith. We will explore the Great Pyramids, the vibrant streets of Damascus, the Old City of Jerusalem, and many more historic sites. This exciting opportunity is open to all alumni and friends of Union-PSCE. Total cost per person is $5,275, which includes air travel from Washington/Dulles. Email for More information.
Around the Presbytery
- Grace Presbyterian Church (York County) hosts their annual Pumpkin Patch Sat., Oct. 10 – Sat., Oct. 31. The Patch will be open Weekends 9am-6:30pm and Weekdays 2pm-6:30pm. If your church preschool or mothers’ morning out program is interested in coming to the Pumpkin Patch, groups are being scheduled from 9am-12pm on Oct. 26 – Oct. 30. Call (404) 451-4677 to schedule your group. Grace is located in Fort Mill on Highway 160 just north of Gold Hill Road.
- Everyone is invited! Oakdale Presbyterian Church invites you to our annual Beef Hash Sale, Saturday, October 31 will be held from 11AM to 8PM. Large plates are $7 and small plates are $4. Each plate includes hash, slaw, pickles, bread, dessert and tea.
- Hermon Presbyterian will host its First Annual Trunk-A-Treat for children ages 3-10 years old on Saturday, October 31 from 1:00- 3:00pm. Children may wear costumes or comfortable clothing for the event. There is no cost for children to participate. We do ask that all children/parents RSVP by Saturday, October 24th. We are looking forward to a great time of fun and fellowship!!
- Join First Presbyterian Church, York, SC and other Presbyterians of Providence, Western North Carolina and Charlotte Presbyteries to share fellowship and celebrate those we love who have gone to be with God and those here who work with one another at a service of thanksgiving and remembrance for all the saints, both here on Earth and in Heaven be held on All Saints Day, Sunday November 1 at 4PM in the Sanctuary of First Presbyterian Church, Gastonia, NC. A collection of anthems for All Saints Day will be performed featuring the combined choirs of First Presbyterian Church, York, SC, First Presbyterian Church, Charlotte, NC, and First Presbyterian Church, Gastonia, NC. The Reverend Doctor, William P. Wood of First Presbyterian Church, Charlotte will deliver a brief homily. The Prelude for the service will begin at 3:30 PM featuring organist, Tim Belk and a brass choir from the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra. Questions? Contact Phillip Warren at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Covenant Presbyterian Women will sponsor a Craft Auction & Bake Sale on Saturday, November 14. Small Craft & Bake Sale will be from 5-7 p.m. Supper will be at 5:30 ($5 adults, $2.50 children 4-19, 3 and under Free). Large Crafts and Gifts will be auctioned starting at 7 p.m. There will be gift baskets galore, handmade crafts, game packets, golf packages, etc. A drawing for a handmade quilt will take place during the auction. This is a great time to buy Christmas gifts.
- Concert of Gratitude: Join us for a wonderful afternoon of sacred music on November 15 as members of First Presbyterian Church Union and the Union Music Club share inspiring selections designed to express our gratitude to God for His many blessings. The concert is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, Union, SC.
- Alternative Christmas Market: First Presbyterian Church, Union, SC will host its annual Alternative Christmas Market on December 5 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall of First Presbyterian Church. Join us and find creative ways to honor loved ones this Christmas as you reach out and help others in need through local, national, and international organizations. Some local and international craft items will also be available as well as Just Coffee and baked goods. We hope to see you on December 5th.
Opportunities to Serve
- Allison Creek Presbyterian Church (5780 Allison Creek Rd, York, SC 29745) near Lake Wylie is looking for an Office and Electronic Networking manager. This person should possess great people and electronic communication skills. Hours are Tues-Thursday from 9AM-Noon. Inquiries and resumes should be sent to the church, ATTN: Sam McGregor email@example.com. You may also contact us by phone at 803-366-1302.
- The Clover Presbyterian Church is looking for our next Director of Christian Education. We are committed to providing educational opportunities that are thoughtful and engaging, encouraging and challenging; programs that build up the Body of Christ, and strengthen the bonds of covenant faithfulness that make us Christ’s community of witness. We are seeking a faithful, talented, and energetic person to lead our Educational Ministries. If you think you might be that person review our position description here: http://www.cloverpres.org/f/docs/DCE-CloverPresbyterianChurch.pdf and submit your resume to our search committee (Attn: DCE Search Committee, 202 Kings Mountain Street, Clover, SC 29710).
Check out the events below on the Presbytery Calendar–for event details, click on the event!
2010 Presbytery Meeting Schedule
3/18 Presbytery Meeting 10AM (Van Wyck)
5/23 Presbytery Meeting 2:30PM (Tirzah-Lancaster)
8/15 Called Presbytery Meeting
10/17 Presbytery Meeting—2:30PM
This Week in Providence Presbytery
10/19 Presbytery Office Closed
10/20 TTT “Backyard History” with Pat Veasey—10:30 (Bethelwoods)
10/21 Resource Center Bookmobile—11AM(Allison Creek)
10/24 Prayer Fellowship—9:15AM (Presbytery Office)
Coming Next Week
10/27 Second Harvest Partners Mobile Food Pantry (Jerusalem Baptist, Fort Mill)
10/30-31 Regional Multicultural Event—Charlotte (More Info)
11/1 Common Ground (A Youth Community) 5-7PM (Bethelwoods)
11/1-2 Presbytery Staff Retreat (Office Closed)
Mark your Calendar!
11/5 Second Harvest Partners Mobile Food Pantry (Hermon Presbyterian, Rock Hill)
11/13-15 Lay School of Theology (White Oak Conference Center)
11/14 TTT to “South Pacific”—11AM (Meet at Bethelwoods)
11/16 Bethelwoods Ministry Team—5:15PM (Bethelwoods)
11/17 TTT Thanksgiving Meal with Bob Moss—10:30AM (Bethelwoods)
11/22 Worship 4 YOUth—5-7PM (Bethelwoods)
12/6 Common Ground (A Youth Community)—5-7PM (Bethelwoods)
12/8 Presbytery Holiday Open House –11AM-3PM (Presbytery Office)
12/10 TTT to Biltmore Estate—9AM (Meet at Bethelwoods)
12/14 Second Harvest Partners 2010 Organizational Meeting—7PM (Union Baptist)
12/15 TTT Gift Exchange with David Bender—10:30AM (Bethelwoods)
Please submit articles to firstname.lastname@example.org with In the Know and the date you would like your article to run in the subject line by Friday at 5 PM for the following Monday’s issue.