| Lancaster | Union | Chester | Kershaw | York |
Guided by the Holy Spirit, our mission is to equip, support, and connect our congregations as they faithfully serve Jesus Christ in a changing world.
October 26, 2009 Volume 5, Number 41
Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.
Youth Leaders…Don’t Miss This!
Do you have just 1 or 2 youth (grades 6-12) in your church? Bring them to Horton Lodge at Bethelwoods THIS SUNDAY NIGHT from 5-7 pm for Common Ground, an experience of Christian community with youth from around the presbytery. Last month there were 19 youth from 6 different churches. There will be games, fellowship, study, snacks and more! Contact Sam McGregor at email@example.com for more information.
Presbytery Habitat Build Organizing
We are inviting churches of Providence Presbytery who might not be able to afford to build a Habitat home on their own to join together with other churches and care for a family working to escape poverty in York County. Lead churches will donate $4500 (plus a $450 tithe for international Habitat Homes) as well as volunteers to staff the construction site for one Saturday. Partner churches will donate whatever they can afford and provide volunteers to team with other Partner church volunteers for one Saturday. Contact Steve Hardy for information on how to get involved by December 15.
News from Guatemala
Many of you are anxious to hear of the mission and ministry of Dr. Tito Palacios in Guatemala. Read his Summer 2009 newsletter online.
Lay School of Theology at White Oak in November
If you are interested in enrolling in the Lay School of Theology for the fall semester, November 13-15 at White Oak Conference Center, you will find registration documents on the Charleston Atlantic Presbytery website at www.chas-atlpresbytery.org.
Interesting Ideas Related to Technology and Ministry
The folks at http://mediaoutreach.com/ have some interesting ideas on the intersection faith, culture and technology. You’ll find blog entries on using stock photos, copyright issues related to your website, using twitter in your ministry and other interesting topics.
Be Part of the Presbytery’s Video Christmas Card
Youth Groups, Bible Study Groups, Men’s Groups…anyone! We invite you to join us as we create a Providence Presbytery video Christmas card for our website! Any group in Providence Presbytery is invited to shoot a 30 to 45 second Christmas Card. You can be as creative as you like to share your Christmas wishes or Christmas “commercials” with others in the Presbytery and beyond. Submit your digital movie file (can be QuickTime, Windows Movie File, Flip video…whatever) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Nov. 23. In the email, please tell me the following: Your Church, Your Group Name—Video Christmas Card. Contact person, Contact phone and Contact Email Address. Submissions must be received by November 23rd to be included in the Video to debut at the Presbytery Christmas Open House on December 6 and added to the website. If you have questions, contact Jill Wilson at email@example.com or at the Presbytery office, Extension 8.
A Note from Dot Killian, Associate for Congregational Development and Missions…
I am grateful to the Presbytery Staff, Betty Salmond, and the Committee on Preparation for Ministry for assisting me with my application for the Theological Scholarship and the African American Scholarship from Synod of South Atlantic. I was awarded both scholarships ($500 each) for the 2009 fall semester at Union- PSCE at Charlotte.
Don’t Miss E3…Coming in January
Don’t miss the E3 Event, featuring FREE workshops for ministers, educators, elders, clerks, youth leaders, and children’s ministry volunteers, lay leaders in charge of worship, education, personnel, stewardship, mission, and evangelism. To be held January 10, 2010 at Rock Hill First Presbyterian… The workshops designed to help all who serve in Providence Presbytery churches to be more prepared to carry out their callings whether they are volunteers or staff positions. Our Workshop Catalog and registration form are online at www.providencepres.org. To insure you get your preferred workshops, pre-register by January 5th.
Around the Presbytery
- Grace Presbyterian Church (York County) hosts their annual Pumpkin Patch Sat., Oct. 10 – Sat., Oct. 31. The Patch will be open Weekends 9am-6:30pm and Weekdays 2pm-6:30pm. If your church preschool or mothers’ morning out program is interested in coming to the Pumpkin Patch, groups are being scheduled from 9am-12pm on Oct. 26 – Oct. 30. Call (404) 451-4677 to schedule your group. Grace is located in Fort Mill on Highway 160 just north of Gold Hill Road.
- Everyone is invited! Oakdale Presbyterian Church invites you to our annual Beef Hash Sale, Saturday, October 31 will be held from 11AM to 8PM. Large plates are $7 and small plates are $4. Each plate includes hash, slaw, pickles, bread, dessert and tea.
- Hermon Presbyterian will host its First Annual Trunk-A-Treat for children ages 3-10 years old on Saturday, October 31 from 1:00- 3:00pm. Children may wear costumes or comfortable clothing for the event. There is no cost for children to participate. We do ask that all children/parents RSVP by Saturday, October 24th. We are looking forward to a great time of fun and fellowship!!
- Join First Presbyterian Church, York, SC and other Presbyterians of Providence, Western North Carolina and Charlotte Presbyteries to share fellowship and celebrate those we love who have gone to be with God and those here who work with one another at a service of thanksgiving and remembrance for all the saints, both here on Earth and in Heaven be held on All Saints Day, Sunday November 1 at 4PM in the Sanctuary of First Presbyterian Church, Gastonia, NC. A collection of anthems for All Saints Day will be performed featuring the combined choirs of First Presbyterian Church, York, SC, First Presbyterian Church, Charlotte, NC, and First Presbyterian Church, Gastonia, NC. The Reverend Doctor, William P. Wood of First Presbyterian Church, Charlotte will deliver a brief homily. The Prelude for the service will begin at 3:30 PM featuring organist, Tim Belk and a brass choir from the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra. Questions? Contact Phillip Warren at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Covenant Presbyterian Women will sponsor a Craft Auction & Bake Sale on Saturday, November 14. Small Craft & Bake Sale will be from 5-7 p.m. Supper will be at 5:30 ($5 adults, $2.50 children 4-19, 3 and under Free). Large Crafts and Gifts will be auctioned starting at 7 p.m. There will be gift baskets galore, handmade crafts, game packets, golf packages, etc. A drawing for a handmade quilt will take place during the auction. This is a great time to buy Christmas gifts. We’ve also added a new twist this year. The folks from Ribald Farms Nursery & Florist will be on hand with demonstrations, supplies, holiday tips and more.
- Concert of Gratitude: Join us for a wonderful afternoon of sacred music on November 15 as members of First Presbyterian Church Union and the Union Music Club share inspiring selections designed to express our gratitude to God for His many blessings. The concert is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, Union, SC.
- Alternative Christmas Market: First Presbyterian Church, Union, SC will host its annual Alternative Christmas Market on December 5 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall of First Presbyterian Church. Join us and find creative ways to honor loved ones this Christmas as you reach out and help others in need through local, national, and international organizations. Some local and international craft items will also be available as well as Just Coffee and baked goods. We hope to see you on December 5th.
Opportunities to Serve
- Allison Creek Presbyterian Church (5780 Allison Creek Rd, York, SC 29745) near Lake Wylie is looking for an Office and Electronic Networking manager. This person should possess great people and electronic communication skills. Hours are Tues-Thursday from 9AM-Noon. Inquiries and resumes should be sent to the church, ATTN: Sam McGregor email@example.com. You may also contact us by phone at 803-366-1302.
- The Clover Presbyterian Church is looking for our next Director of Christian Education. We are committed to providing educational opportunities that are thoughtful and engaging, encouraging and challenging; programs that build up the Body of Christ, and strengthen the bonds of covenant faithfulness that make us Christ’s community of witness. We are seeking a faithful, talented, and energetic person to lead our Educational Ministries. If you think you might be that person review our position description here: http://www.cloverpres.org/f/docs/DCE-CloverPresbyterianChurch.pdf and submit your resume to our search committee (Attn: DCE Search Committee, 202 Kings Mountain Street, Clover, SC 29710).
Check out the events below on the Presbytery Calendar–for event details, click on the event!
2010 Presbytery Meeting Schedule
3/18 Presbytery Meeting 10AM (Van Wyck)
5/23 Presbytery Meeting 2:30PM (Tirzah-Lancaster)
8/15 Called Presbytery Meeting
10/17 Presbytery Meeting—2:30PM
This Week in Providence Presbytery
10/26 PW Coordinating Team—6PM (Grace-L)
10/27 Glocal Committee—5:30PM (Presbytery Office)
10/27 Second Harvest Partners Mobile Food Pantry (Jerusalem Baptist, Fort Mill)
10/30-31 Regional Multicultural Event—Charlotte (More Info)
11/1 Common Ground (A Youth Community) 5-7PM (Bethelwoods)
11/1-2 Presbytery Staff Retreat (Office Closed)
Coming Next Week
11/3 Nurture the People of God Ministry Team-7PM (Presbytery Office)
11/5 Second Harvest Partners Mobile Food Pantry (Hermon Presbyterian, Rock Hill)
Mark your Calendar!
11/13-15 Lay School of Theology (White Oak Conference Center)
11/14 TTT to “South Pacific”—11AM (Meet at Bethelwoods)
11/16 Bethelwoods Ministry Team—5:15PM (Bethelwoods)
11/17 TTT Thanksgiving Meal with Bob Moss—10:30AM (Bethelwoods)
11/22 Worship 4 YOUth—5-7PM (Bethelwoods)
12/6 Common Ground (A Youth Community)—5-7PM (Bethelwoods)
12/8 Presbytery Holiday Open House –11AM-3PM (Presbytery Office)
12/10 TTT to Biltmore Estate—9AM (Meet at Bethelwoods)
12/14 Second Harvest Partners 2010 Organizational Meeting—7PM (Union Baptist)
12/15 TTT Gift Exchange with David Bender—10:30AM (Bethelwoods)
Please submit articles to firstname.lastname@example.org with In the Know and the date you would like your article to run in the subject line by Friday at 5 PM for the following Monday’s issue.